Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympic Sewing -- World's Fastest Rail Fence Tutorial

(6-16-2015 Update: Wow! This post is popular! Please let me know if  you have any questions! Don't forget to follow Little Bunny Quilts -- lots of options over on the sidebar! -- Alison)

World's Fastest Rail Fence:

What you need:
5 - 2.5" x WOF strips of green print (center strips)
10 - 2.5" x WOF strips of white and tan print (inner strips)
10 - 2.5" x WOF strips of brown print (outer strips)



What you do:

Sew one tan strip to each of your green strips. Press.

Sew the other tan strip to the other side of the green strip. Make sure to sew it the same way that you sewed the first one on (ie. green on top vs. tan on top -- this will help prevent you from ending up with a wonky strip set). Press.

Sew brown strips to the outside of your strip sets as above. Press.

Your strip set should end up 10.5" wide. You should make 5 strip sets.
Cross cut each of the 5 strip sets into 4 blocks each at 10.5" wide.

NOTE: cutting 4 squares out of your strip set WILL BE TIGHT -- your fabric will need to be at least 42" wide. If you can only get three 10.5" blocks per strip set, you will need seven strip sets instead of 5.

If necessary, make sure that your cuts are perpendicular to the seams of the strips by squaring up the end before you cut.

You should end up with 20 blocks that are 10.5" square. Sew together in an array of 4 blocks by 5 blocks. Layer with backing and batting and quilt as desired.

10 comments:

  1. Love the new quilt - so cute!! Also, I don't know how long you've had the new blog look (I have hardly done any blog reading at all this whole summer) but I love it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Did you get to making your quilt yet? My blog design was updated a few weeks ago -- I won a contest for a blog redesign! :)

      Delete
  2. Love it, another quilt I want to make...The list is forever growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a very satisfying not-too-long project. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new blog design looks fantastic! And great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea for a quick quilt!And it is so nice to meet another scientific crafter:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I would like to try making this beautiful quilt in a queen size...could you help with the fabric amounts/cuts? I am a beginner quilter...I've only made quilts with easy squares. Thanks k you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I get the same look as your quilt,with this pattern you suggest,if I use similar colors?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!