Monday, April 21, 2014

QCQAL Block #4: Jacob's Ladder

Another Monday, another QCQAL block to share with you! Block #4 is Jacob's Ladder.


This block is a great one on its own in quilts -- check out all this quilty inspiration on Pinterest! This is a great option for scrappy quilts!

On to the good stuff:

Cutting:
Two 5 inch squares background fabric for HSTs
Two 5 inch squares for HSTs
Two strips 2.5 inches by 25 inches (minimum) -- each one a different color for four patch units


Sew your strips for your four patch units together. Press to one side and subcut into 10 2.5 inch segments.


Quick note on cutting your strips:
You'll be subcutting the strips into ten - 2.5" segments so if your fabric is shorter than 25 inches, you'll have to cut more than one strip. I cut one long strip from a fat eighth that was ~22 inches long and then cut two more 2.5 inch squares of each color. In total, you'll need enough length to cut 10 2.5 inch squares of each of your two colors.

Sew your 10 units into 5 four patch units.


Lay out your pieces as shown below. You should have one color along one diagonal and one color along the other diagonal created by the four patches.


Here's my finished block:


Here are all four of my finished blocks:


Don't forget to share your blocks in the Flickr group!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, good!! Another one I can do with my Marti Michell templates!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!